Disposition of Medications, Sharps and Hazardous Waste
- Medications that are no longer needed according to client's physician ordered reasons (discontinued, dosage decreased, out of date, etc.) will be returned to contract pharmaceutical provider for disposal.
- Medications are to be returned to contract pharmaceutical provider for disposal within 30-days of new order. Pharmacy representative will be notified via telephone or email of need of pick up.
- Medication Disposition Sheet will be completed with prescription number, original dispensing date of medication, client name, medication name, strength, dosage form, quantity disposed, and reason (see key ) on Form MP5213. White and yellow form to pharmacy along with medication to be returned. Pink copy remains at MDCBDSN for filing.
- Medications will be checked monthly for out of date medications. Out of date medications will be reordered by staff. Nurse will be notified of any out of date medications and informed that meds were reordered for replacement. Out of date medications will be forwarded to the nurse. The nurse will complete the Medication Disposition form for transport to contract pharmacy for disposal.
- For a client who is discharged from the agency, medications will be sent with the resident. A medication release form will be completed with the name, dose, times of administration, and quantity released with copy of Medication Administration Record to indicate last dose given. Original copy of med release will be filed with medical chart.
- For a deceased client, medications will be collected with Medication Disposition Sheet completed as indicated with disposition reason key indicating A- deceased (Return to Rx). Form will be completed and signed by nurse for transport to contract pharmacy for disposal.
- Controlled Medications that are no longer needed by the client will be disposed in the following manner:
- Medication Disposition Sheet completed with prescription number, original dispensing date of medication, client name, medication name, strength, dosage form quantity disposed, and reason (see key) on Form MP5213. Copy of Control accountability log will be attached. Original filed in medical chart.
- Signature of person completing form with title and a second signature of a witness. There must be "cradle to the grave" accountability for all controlled medications.
- Upon completion of form, pharmacy will notified of need of pick up for disposal.
- Controlled medication disposal documentation must be maintained by the facility and kept separately from non-controlled medication disposal documentation so that it may be easily retrievable.
- Disposal of sharps containers and hazardous waste will be disposed of through contracted provider Stericycle with scheduled service pick up frequency of two per year. Sharps containers and hazardous waste will be stored in approved medical waste containers until scheduled pick-up for disposal.
- Attachments: Medication Disposition Sheet Form # MP5213.
- Refer to Agency Medication Policy Manual for any further information.