On-call Time Reporting, Non-Exempt Staff and Overtime Approval
NOTE: This policy is to outline proper time reporting for employees of the Marion-Dillon County Board of Disabilities and Special Needs, (MDCBDSN), who are non-exempt and considered on-call staff. These staff would be any executive staff, managers, nurses, maintenance or supervisors who are assigned an agency cell-phone. These staff are required to have their cell phones on them at all times and are to respond as needed to address agency and consumer needs. These staff are to maintain a call log of all after-hours business calls that are subject to overtime. This policy also requires ALL non-exempt staff to obtain approval from their supervisor for any and all after-hours work-related activity.
Should an on-call staff receive a phone call related to their work, which is not within their regularly scheduled day, they shall document this on a "call log" based on the following:
- If the call is handled in less than 8 minutes then no compensable time shall be recorded.
- If the call takes more than 8 minutes but less than 15, then 15 minutes compensable time should be recorded.
- If the call takes more than 15 minutes but less than 23 minutes then only 15 minutes compensable time should be recorded.
- If the call is more than 23 minutes but less than 30 minutes, then 30 minutes compensable time should be recorded.
- This pattern will continue to be recorded in 15 minute increments accordingly. Examples: 24 minutes = 30 minutes compensable time, 9 minutes = 15 minutes compensable time, 1 hour and 8 minutes = 1 hour and 15 minutes compensable time.
If the on-call person is required to go to a worksite after scheduled work hours, they will be paid for their time at the site and their travel time to and from. This time will need to be entered on their time sheet.
These non-exempt staff will prepare a call log each pay period, listing calls taken and subject to overtime. These additional hours will be added to the time sheet. The call log will be attached to the time sheet, signed and dated by the employee, approved by their supervisor and forwarded to finance by the 3rd business day after the pay period ends. Copies of approved leave slips will also be attached to each time sheet and call log by their supervisor.
ALL non-exempt staff are prohibited to take work home unless prior authorization is given by their supervisor. Non-exempt staff are not to sign on to Therap after work hours without prior authorization. Non-exempt staff are prohibited from doing any on-line work related activities after hours; to include but not limited to: following up to work-related email requests, monitoring agency video feeds, monitoring of Therap t-logs, etc.; without prior authorization given by their supervisor.